What is 'Cold Water Disease' ?
What is 'Hot Water Stress' ?
How can i solve this problem

loh loh loh
cold water disease is water to cool
hot water stress is water to hot
to solve the problem so very easy.
install water chiller heheheheheehehhe
and ask the koi, is it confortable? if to cool temp can be set to increase. and if to hot temp can be set to decrese

h3ln1k
21-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I have no experience at all about that deseases :( anybody can answer please.... ;)

victor
21-05-2010, 06:56 PM
loh loh loh
cold water disease is water to cool
hot water stress is water to hot
to solve the problem so very easy.
install water chiller heheheheheehehhe
and ask the koi, is it confortable? if to cool temp can be set to increase. and if to hot temp can be set to decrese
when koi moving from your town that temperature room maybe about 27 or 28 celcius degree to my pond that temperature only 23-24 celcius degree
that's can make effect for koi's life, i think thats there are bacteria that can't live on your pond and it will be live on my pond
i don't have enough reason n information that i make conclusion
maybe there are any information from hobbis from malaysia, thailand, japan or another country
thx
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

mrbunta
25-05-2010, 07:19 AM
when koi moving from your town that temperature room maybe about 27 or 28 celcius degree to my pond that temperature only 23-24 celcius degree
that's can make effect for koi's life, i think thats there are bacteria that can't live on your pond and it will be live on my pond
maybe there are any information from hobbis from malaysia, thailand, japan or another country
thx

at my pond that's not a problem. just ok.

bobo
25-05-2010, 08:05 AM
thx

I feel quarantine can help mr.Victor to address these temperature differences.
this can help the koi to be able to adjust to the new pond and water well.
With quarantine, fish
will be more resistant to the new environment.
It's helps koi too.

Teja Utama
25-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Do you mean jet lag for koi??? When it's happen on some "flocking causes" by extreme temperature changes???
Some noticeable advice from my supplier was given when I transport koi from distances. Ex. Put the carrier bag on the water while the fish is still inside for a few minutes after arrival (temperature normalization).

So far, I prefer to quarantine. Otherwise, I put my beloved jewels in the glass aquarium and heated until I got 30'C on my thermo.

Glenardo
25-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Guys, as far as my experiences, bring Koi from cold area ( Puncak ) to Jakarta ( Hot area ), it takes less risk than bring koi from Hot area ( Jakarta ) to Cold area (Puncak).
What I usually do is prevention. Packaging must be comfortable for Koi then put the koi in proper position in car ( let say if passenger position is vertikal, then koi box must be horizontal). Before that, off course, must discipline to fasting koi before transpot. Water in QT also must be prepare at least 1 days with full aeration.

Other else, I use common practice for quarantinne Koi. But, i dont agree with few minutes. I usually float bag at least 30 minutes, then add QT Water inside and hold it for 10 min.

In a case like om Teja, I dont believe heater will help that. If fish still healty, why we have to use heater? My conclusion for this, buyer must know personal recommendation from seller.

Thanks

arind
26-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Acclimatization mean Quarantine treatment

Teja Utama
26-05-2010, 05:06 PM
When the symptoms of, whatever :mad: , is occurs, I do prefer to quarantine my kois without heating it up. I'm often using my fiber tub, put some supplement and fully aerated. Only if I think it doesn't work then I rolled up everything back to start again but, for a germicidal symptom, this time I use glass aquarium and then... I put the heater switched on.

William Pantoni
28-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Nice article from Dr Johnson of Koivet :

Saprolegnia (or sap) is a freshwater fungus which simply means it lives in fresh water environments and needs water to grow and reproduce. Sap can also be found in brackish water and moist soil. It is often referred to as a “cold water” fungus as it flourishes in colder water, but it lives well in a wide range of water temperatures extending from 37 deg F to 91 deg F (3 to 31 deg C). While it has been described also as a “mold”, sap is a genus of fungus, with the difference being a “mold” is a mass of fungi.

The following is a list of conditions that support the spread of sap:

Overcrowding – stress and too many organics in too little water
Handling – stress and removal of the mucous coat on the fish
Epidermal integrity – open wounds that provide direct access to tissue
Parasites and pathogens – parasites cause wounds that allow pathogens (like bacteria) to enter thetissue thus giving sap a change to take hold and stress
Pollution – stress and reduced water quality
Spawning – stress and physical damage
Water quality – stress and reduced physiological conditions
Water temperature changes – stress.

Treatment :
Malachite Green (MG): Hands down, this is the best treatment for all fungal problems, including sap. MG baths and dips work_ exceptionally well and one treatment will usually solve the problem (assuming any contributing causes are corrected as well). There are certain cautions that go with using MG, such as use only in cooler, well aerated water, so read the label carefully for instructions and precautions. MG is not recommended as a pond-wide treatment for sap as the concentration levels needed to kill off sap are too high for a pond-wide treatment to be effective. Such products as ProForm C, a Malachite Green-formalin combination can help reduce the incidence of sap and parasites in the water, but because the sap hyphae may be deeply embedded, the stronger dip or bath method is recommended. Caution: Malachite green is carcinogenic and has been banned for use on food fish. Use MG with great care.

William Pantoni
28-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Another article from Dr. Johnson :

Branchiomyces is an aggressive gill fungus. It will kill fish by adulterating their gill tissue. The fungus compromises vascular supply to gill tissue and the affected areas die and slough out leaving gaping sockets in the gill arches. The fungus relies on high organic loads, high Nitrate levels, crowding, and HEAT to activate, and kill fish. It REQUIRES hot water to thrive and is most common in intensive conditions where fish are crowded, there are high organc loads and the water is WARM.
Cool water carries more oxygen and eases the metabolic furnace of the fish.
Increasing aeration WITHOUT increasing exertion to the fish (e.g. spraybars) may be life saving.
Controlling Branchiomyces: Formalin is very effective.

Teja Utama
28-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Thank you for the articles. It tumbling down my understanding on how to treat "germ alike" symptoms. In my experience, although HEATING would be my last choice to handle such disease, but it still proven to be effectively cures those symptoms. Keep on your mind that I've no guts to use any chemical medication...

TugubotO
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
What temperature to be said as cold and what temp is fall into hot category..?

Cold diseases mostly caused by fungus where the water temperature could be below 20 C due to environment / weather or even because no sun light through it.
What we shall do to avoid or battle to these fungus, such as white spot etc. is to ensure no dead spot water, ensure all water circulated and aerated. Also, add some anti fungus medicines such as methylene blue and similar will be useful, but just for illness fishes.

Hot diseases mostly are diseases due to outbreak of aeromonas sp. bacteria where water temperature warmer than usual such as season change. How ever, at elevated temperature up to 30C and above, bacteria growth will be limited.
How we depend our kois from these bacteria.? Only the water quality can safe them for sure. Sighs for illness is easily observe due to bacterial outbreak. So, what shall we do to prevent bacterial; listen the wise words says:
- keep your water healthy
- do not over feeding
- never over populate your pond
- built a good and well designed pond, otherwise we will fight to safe our fish along the road.... do you want it..?

ipaul888
16-05-2015, 12:28 AM
good articles, and we can learn from it

AlexizemA
26-06-2022, 07:28 AM
More erratic movement - behavior in warmer water. Opposite in cold months. Looking at the profile of the bait should give you a general idea. Time on the water with them is best.